Our teaching approach was developed by SPENTEM founder, Imam Taymullah Abdur-Rahman.
After decades of counseling, he came to the conclusion that as a collective culture we do not have a problem with a lack of Islamic knowledge, we have a problem with trauma acknowledgement which causes us to regress into moral decrepitude.
The curriculum is designed to heal latent childhood trauma, insecurities, self-deception and fears so that the student emerges as a whole Muslim.
What we teach
Our pedagogy focuses on the three core principles:
PRINCIPLE ONE - SPIRITUALITY
Spirituality encompasses the vertical principles that govern our existence on earth. It has three components: primary Islamic issues, major secondary issues and major tertiary issues.
- Primary Islamic issues focus on understanding the foundations of Islamic theology and application
- Major secondary issues focus on internal transparency which aims to heal substance abuse and past personal trauma and its affect on the mental, emotional and moral condition of each individual
- Major tertiary issues focus on the contextual landscape of applying the different levels and iterations of Islamic knowledge according to culture, environment and objective
PRINCIPLE TWO - ENTERPRISE
Enterprise focuses on one's personal development which includes three components:
- Being self-determined by learning the fundamentals of business and entrepreneurship, exploring business ideas and committing to a project to build for self-employment
- Paying attention to physical health including diet, exercise and self-care
- Exploring the paths to chivalry and etiquette toward parents, spouse, children and neighbor
PRINCIPLE THREE - EMPATHY
Empathy revolves around implementing horizontal practice to achieve proximate justice which includes three components:
- Defining the scope of social justice and the types of social/civic intervention
- Studying different models and modalities of leadership
- Finding a proximate struggle to dismantle using one or more of our social/civic intervention models